FERMENTED FRUITS IS MOVING - http://www.vinodafrutta.com

Fermented Fruits is moving to our own little patch of real estate within the HTBWMedia.com / BaronVonInternet.com community of Information and Community based websites and blogs. Our brand spanking new URL is http://www.vinodafrutta.com The site is still under construction but the receipe's are in the background waiting to be published with a brand new recipe for YEAST FREE Strawberry Mead. Yup, tried and tested without adding ANY Yeast. So this means the Strawberry Mead will taste as it should, pure and natural. The fermenting process is taking a little longer, however the NATURAL yeasts from the Strawberries is currently vigorously reproducing so we should see some nice results WITH PICTURES, shortly. Oh ya, the new site also has the ability for approved members to post their own blogs, recipe books, articles and participate in the community Wine / Mead making Forum. So if you enjoy the art of fermenting fruits, join the community at http://www.vinodafrutta.com I'd love to chat. Drop me a note there if you have any questions. Cheers Heinz
Free Wine & Mead Making Tips, Tricks and Community

Club Dubya - My new Online Community

Check out Club Dubya. My newest experiment in "Social Networking" Call me Naive, but I would like to create a non-corporate online community with an emphasis on the word "Community" Maybe I'll even stick in a Wine making section if there is enough interest. It is still being worked on, but feel free to drop in and say Hi. There is already a few members and we are growing.

www.clubdubya.com

Pass it on Eh!

Club Dubya - Don't Harsh My Mellow Eh!

CONSUMER INFORMATION

CONSUMER INFORMATION
Make CENT$ of it all

Followers

Your Ad Here

Monday, December 31, 2007

Blackberry Almond Pulque - My first stab at it

OK, a few days ago I stumbled on a question in another wine making forum which related to Pulque. Not knowing what Pulque was and being mildly interested, I did a search. It turns out Pulque is the pre-curser to Tequila and is often referred to as Agave Mead (Agave being the suculent used for making tequila).

Not being one to walk away from something interesting I did abit more reading and came up with this little combo recipe. Actually, I was going to make Blackberry Almond Mead, but as I was getting it ready, my shipment of Blue Agave Nectar came in.

So here it is

Blackberry Almond Pulque

2 cups ground almonds
1 tsp Jamaican all-spice

Put in double boiler with 4 cups of water
Boiled for 1 hour
I filtered out the almond muck and



Added

4 Cups previously frozen pressed blackberry juice
6 Cups blue Agave Nectar
1 Cup honey
and remainder of water to make up 2 Imperial Gallons (8 Litres)

Specific gravity was at 1.085

The almond wine recipe said to let the must sit for a day prior to adding the yeast, so that is what I am doing.

See you tomorrow (OK, I must be loosing it now)

1 package of 1118 yeast
1/2 teaspoon nutrient (That is all what was left)

7 comments:

  1. at 1:30 PM today I innoculated the Must. I am a little concerned about the yeast in that it really didn't seem all that active when I was soaking it. I did add some nutrient to the must though, so we shall see.

    As a side note, the colour of the must was just amazing, with the slight glistening of the ground almost and the purple hue of the blackberry it looed almost metallic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At 8PM I noticed there was still no activity so I added another package of yeast and activity started within an hour. Beware the bad yeast... it is out there :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fermentation has been abit slower on this batch. I am thinking this is partially as a result of the different yeast I am using. Since I ran out of 1118 yeast, I ended up using 71B-1122 (Also by Lalvin). The fermentation looks quite different in that the 1118 yeast produced large yeast clumps which would rocket up to the top, then drop back down again. Whereas the 1122 seems to do alot more of the fermenting at the bottom with less bonding of yeasty beasties. The yeast particles that do rise up tend to be smaller and less pronounced.
    at this point, it has been about 60 hours and there is about 6% potential Alc left. In previous batches, it would be sitting at about 2% at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, it's been a few days and It finally reached stopping stage last night at around 7:30 PM - 4 days of fermentation. The specific gravity was sitting around 1.030 (About 8.5 % alc)
    I pastuerized the pulque at 160F for 10 minutes and transfered it back to the primary for cooling.
    I decided to do something a little different this time. During the fermentation process, I noticed a layer of almond oil gathering on top of the pulque. This seemed to be hindering fermentation as it was effectively blocking oxygen from getting to the juice. The long and short of it, I saved the oil and poured it back into the pastuerized pulque. I figure this will work similarly to the bung as no oxygen will be allowed in.
    No real reason for this except for abit of lazyness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ya, I forgot about the taste. The jury is still out on that one as I haven't decided on whether I like the taste or not... a slight tequilaish taste, but not as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just racked the Pulque for the second time. Clarification is coming along, it is fairly slow but not as bad as the Cranberry Mead.
    I measured the Alcohol level and it was sitting at around 12%. By the time this is bottled, it should be a nice light rose colour.

    An update on the taste, it is rounding quite nicely now. I'm thinking it will be great once done. The aroma is nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know these posts were a while ago, but just needed to share some insight.
    Post "Jan 6, 2008 10:47 AM" - "[The oil] seemed to be hindering fermentation as it was effectively blocking oxygen from getting to the juice."
    1) I am not positive that the oil does or does not prevent aeration of the solution, but I will leave that subject for someone with more insight
    2) After approximately the first 48 hours of fermentation, which is also referred to as the aerobic phase, the anaerobic phase of the fermentation process occurs. Two important points include: the yeast do not need free oxygen particles within the solution because they are metabolizing the simple sugar molecules (such as glucose) and breaking them down into free oxygen to be converted into carbon dioxide and as a byproduct they are producing ethanol. Secondly, a lot of the time aeration during this stage is unwanted by the brewer, but not necessarily counter-productive. If you have ever mixed a wine by accident during a racking while the yeast has yet been sterilized (utilizing sodium metabisulphite or heat) you will notice that the yeast kick back up and that is primarily because of the free O2 they can metabolize and turn into carbon dioxide (no ethanol is really produced from the conversion of O2 into CO2).

    Just for future reference, the lack of oxygen wont hinder your fermentation after the yeast colonies have multiplied to a large enough quantity (aka reached the anaerobic phase)

    Other than that, I have been reviewing your articles and many of your experiments are exciting and interesting. Keep up the adventurous life style!

    Sources:
    1) 3 years brewing
    2) B.S. in Chemistry
    3) Performed research on fermentation

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. In order to prevent spam all comments are moderated. Once approved, your comments will be posted.